Thanks for your interest in joining the Saskatoon Expo family. Want to know how you can join our dynamic team and what’s involved? Read on!
What does the Expo Crew do?
It’s simple: The Expo Crew makes people happy!
We work all over the show, behind the scenes and in the public eye to ensure each and every person that interacts with the Expo feels welcome and has a memorable experience. You could be keeping our Creator Guests fuelled and fed, providing fans with info at Customer Service, distributing much-needed goodies to your fellow crew members, or keeping your watchful gaze over autograph lines and Media Guests. It takes a village, and every member is important.
There are many teams that make up the Expo: Operations, Distribution, Programming, Admissions, Expo Store and many more. We do our best to connect each member with a team that fits their skill set and interest as they climb up the ranks.
What are the benefits of joining the Expo Crew?
First off, you get to be a member of an exciting and enthusiastic community of people who are fans just like you. Many of our crew members have developed great friendships at Expo and enjoy mini reunions each year they return. There are also some perks:
- You’ll get admission to the show for the day you aren’t working
- An exclusive Expo shirt that shows you are a part of our team
- Exclusive CREW badge
- Invitations to Expo-Crew-Only activities and appreciation events throughout the year.
Crew registration for 2016 is now closed. Thanks for joining us everyone!
Questions about the Expo Crew!
Applications are processed in the order that they are received, once recruiting is open. If you’ve just setup a new account on our Crew Central page, you’ll be notified once your account has been reviewed and your password will be emailed to you. If for some reason your application isn’t accepted (i.e. you’re under the minimum age) we’ll contact you.
You sure will!
All crew are required to provide a minimum of one shift during the Expo. (Shifts average 8 hours.) Of course, we’d be overjoyed if you want to do more than one!
You will be able to enjoy the Expo before or after your shift on the day(s) you are working… plus your Crew badge will get you in to the show on days you aren’t on duty.
(NOTE: Crew in Leadership positions are usually required to be at the show for the entire event.)
Crew members must be a minimum of 16 years of age.
The Expo generally recruits leaders from within. If you want to be on the Leadership team, the best way to go about it is to join the Crew and show us what you have!
All teams have limited availability, but we’ll try to match you up on the same teams if you like. We can’t promise it, but we’ll certainly try. Just be sure that you (and your friends/family) mention it on your applications, or to your Team Lead.
We have so many different teams it’s hard to know where to start! Here’s a partial list:
- Admissions – Checking fans into the show, passing out their wristbands ‘n goodies.
- Creator Guests – Taking care of our Creators, keeping them hydrated and fed. Also keeping an eye on their tables when they go for a much-needed break!
- Crew Support – The best way to see and try lots of different aspects of the show. Crew Support may be working in the Crew Lair (helping check crew in and out, passing out shirts, etc) or supporting other teams throughout the show. You may be in Photo-Ops one day and Expo Store the next!
- Customer Service – Wise in the ways of Expo, you know all the things. You’ll help fans with their burning questions at the official Customer Service locations on the show floor.
- Distribution – The Expo requires a lot of STUFF. You’ll control it all. Helping other teams with their needs, whether it’s water for Crew, shirts for the store, sharpies for autograph tables… you keep everyone running! (Some physical work required.)
- Exhibitor Registration – Checking in our Exhibitors, vendors and Artist Alley folks. You’ll direct them to their homes for the show, provide them with their badges, and answering any questions about setting up their booths.
- Expo Store – Providing friendly customer service, retail sales and helping attendees make their selections from all the cool exclusive swag!
- Operations – Making sure our fans know where to come and go, and entering the venue in a safe manner. You’ll assist with crowd control, and work in many different locations throughout the show so you’ll get to see plenty!
- Photo Op Crew – Selling photo tickets, directing fans, running 8×10 pics to their happy owners and more… one of the busiest places in the whole show.
- Photography – Talented photographers only need apply! If you’re great with photo composition, have your own dSLR and love to take event-related pics, this is the place for you. (Photographers must have their own gear, and must be SLR-based, preferably with SD card storage. This team is heavily curated. Applications will be asked to show their portfolio/previous work. Limited applicants accepted.)
- Programming – Panels, workshops & presentations. You could be a room-usher, a mic-runner, an A/V assistant & more.
- Prop Team – Helping fans ensure their weapon-like props are safe and compliant with our show rules. You’ll review applications and issue Peace Bonds. Prop Team helps us provide a safe and enjoyable show for everyone!
- Tabletop Gaming – Love games? Multi-sided dice? Helping people of all ages discover new fun? You’ll love this team.
- Welcome Team – You’ll greet fans arriving at the show with grins, high-fives, grab-bags, copies of “The Sidekick”, answering questions and more. You’re a mobile smiling FAQ!